The first institution administering Mining in Indonesia is Mining and Geological Service that was established on September 11th, 1945. Initially, the Service was known as Chisitsu Chosajo, controlling under the Ministry of Welfare.
The Mining and Geological Service was under the Ministry of Industrial Affairs, based on Decision Letter of Minister of Economic Affairs Number 2360a/M of 1952, was amended to Mining Directorate consisting of Mining Service Center and Geological Service Center.
In accordance with the Presidential Decree Number 131 of 1957, Ministry of Economic Affairs was divided into Ministry of Commerce and Ministry of Industrial Affairs. Based on Decision Letter of Minister of Industrial Affairs Number 4247 a/M of 1957, Centers under the Mining Directorate were amended to Mining Service and Geological Service.
Ministry of Industrial Affairs was divided into Department of Basic Industry/Mining and Department of Public Industry, of which oil and gas mining field was under the Department of Basic Industry and Mining.
The Government established an Oil and Gas Bureau under the Department of Basic Industry and Mining.
Geological Service and Mining Service were amended to be Geological Directorate and Mining Directorate.
Oil and Gas Bureau was amended to be Oil and Gas Directorate under the authority of Minister Assistant on Mining Affairs and State Mining Companies.
Department of Basic Industry/Mining was divided into three departments: Department of Basic Industry, Department of Mining and Department of Oil and Gas Affairs.
11 June 1965
Minister administering Oil and Gas Affairs determined the establishment of Oil and Gas Institution (Lemigas).
Department of Oil and Gas Affairs was merged to be Ministry of Mining and Oil & Gas controlling the Department of Oil and Gas.
During the era of Ampera Cabinet, Department of Oil and Gas and Department of Mining were merged to be Department of Mining.
Department of Mining was amended to be Department of Mining and Energy.
Department of Mining and Energy was amended to be Department of Energy and Mineral Resources.
In accordance with Presidential Regulation 47/2009, the 'Department' was amended to be 'Ministry'